Saturday, March 24, 2012

Tips and Tricks

Hey Guys and Gals,


So I figured I should give some info on how to be gluten free, and vegan. 


I jumped right into the deep end of the vegan and gluten free pool when I found out that I had Hashimotos.  Not everyone is that crazy though.  For most people it takes a little bit of  adjusting, or, a lot a bit, so ease into it. That's totally fine!  Since my daughter was recently diagnosed too, I have decided not to through her into the deep end.  It would be just plain mean! And I'm not that mean.  So she still eats some processed foods.  It's important to keep some things normal for kids. It's a hard change for anyone, but especially the kiddos.  


For organic foods go ahead and buy the store brand of organics,  (just make sure it has the USDA Organic stamp.)  Store brands tend to be a little cheaper.  Even at Whole Foods, which we frequently call "Whole Paycheck". If you happen to be in a remote area, it may be cheaper to order things on Amazon.  I go to Natural Grocers.  They have a pretty high standard as a store for quality and they also have some things that are their own brand. They also have a website that you can shop on and order from. www.naturalgrocers.com


As for gluten free, believe it or not, Walmart has some gluten free foods, as does Costco.  
I get gluten free pretzels, Lara Bars and sometimes baking items at Walmart.   


For bakers, you can use Bob's Redmill.  I use these mixes because it's cheaper than making my own.  I have found it to get quite pricey, because you have to buy a few different types of flours and then it just starts adding up. And I don't bake enough for that to make sense.  


Baking tips:
Replace eggs with a product called Egg Replacer or you can use "flax eggs"
Flax eggs are 1 TBLS of  ground flaxseeds mixed with 2 TBLS water./1 whole egg.
I use this in all baking recipes.


Replace oil with applesauce.


Replace milk with almond milk   


Replace baking soda with Aluminum free baking soda (aluminum is really bad for the thyroid.)  Again, Bob's Redmill has this product.


Here are some more gluten free items
Kix 
Rice Chex
Rice noodles 
Rice - Stick with brown rice
All Fruit and Veggies (in their natural state of course)
Popcorn
Potatoes
Potato chips
Corn chips
Taco shells
Grits
Quinoa (pronounced Keen-wah) pasta - I have found that King Soopers is the cheapest
Corn pasta - King Soopers and Target carry this kind of pasta
Udi's makes great gluten free breads and baked goods. Available at King Soopers.  They also have bakeries around the Denver Metro area.  A great place to get salads and veggie sandwiches.  They can make any of their sandwiches on gluten free bread. 


A couple tips on eating gluten free in public (like it's some crazy weird thing to do) hahahaha 
Read food labels - There is gluten in soup and taco seasoning even.  So you have to be really careful!  
When eating at a restaurant, ask for a gluten free menu. If they don't have one, salads are always a good go to.  If you order a salad at a restaurant, ask for extra lemons or oranges, then  squeeze them over the salad for the dressing.  Or if you're not quite ready to be oil free yet, you could just ask for a oil and vinegar as your dressing.  


When I'm out running errands and I havn't packed all the right snacks for being out and about, I will eat at Chipotle or even Taco Bell if there isn't a Chipotle around (thank the Lord I don't typically travel too far from a Chipotle).  From Chipotle I will order a veggie bowl with brown rice, black beans (their pinto beans are made with pork in them), fajita veggies guacamole, corn salsa and a little lettuce. MMMMMMM Yummy!!! Man, that made me hungry. From Taco Bell I get a Fresco Crunchy Taco with beans instead of beef.  I have done some research and found that they make their beans with vegetable oil.  FYI - Taco Bell's red sauce contains gluten.  


Back to being out and about.  I have a lunch box that I to pack with apples or bananas, my own trail mix (raw nuts and raisins), gluten free pretzels for the kids, and a few Lara Bars.  Being prepared makes it easier to stay on track and not give in to eating processed foods.


If you don't feel like cooking, Amy's is a great brand for gluten free dairy free frozen meals.  They even have Gluten free Dairy free Mac-N-Cheese.   King Soopers has Amy's as do most natural food stores.    


When eating processed foods, whether from the grocery store or a fast food restaurant, try to do it as infrequently as possible.  Processed foods typically have a high amount of sodium which causes inflammation and also causes you to retain water (not something any lady wants to do).


Changing your diet can be very difficult, trust me I know, I have been there.  Once you get more balanced you will  start craving these foods.  And of course, you will start feeling better.


Remember, anything worth having (health in this case), is worth fighting for.  Fight for your thyroid.  All the hard work is worth feeling better.  Help it Help you.  What movie is that from?  Anyone?  "Help me, Help you!"  Jerry Maguire Y'all.


Alrighty, well that's it for now!
Happy thyroids!


   




















No comments:

Post a Comment